We are now hiring expert practitioners for the following assignments:TitlePostingVacancyVacancy Duty Station TypeTypeEnd Date International Technical Advisor for KOICA –ExternalInternationalApply byZanzibar,Enhancing Quality of Secondary School TAJul-15TanzaniaEducation through a Holistic Approach in Zanzibar, Tanzania (EQSSE-Z) Location:Zanzibar, Tanzania Application Deadline:15-Jul-2021 (Midnight Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)Additional Category:Education Type of contract:Individual Consultancy Contract Post Level:International Technical Advisor Language Required:English Duration of ContractAugust 2021 to September 2022
Objective of the Consultancy
To contract the services of technical support in project implementation, development of materials, and quality assurance of documentation, and results in monitoring, evaluation and learning.
Good Neighbors is an international humanitarian development NGO founded in Korea in 1991. The aim is to make the world a place without hunger, where people live together in harmony. The organization maintains field offices in more than 36 countries around the world. Good Neighbors Tanzania is among Good Neighbors International field office.
Good Neighbors Tanzania (GNTZ) was officially established on 2005 and currently it is located in six regions i.e. Mwanza, Kigoma, Dodoma, Songwe, Zanzibar and Dar es Salaam being the Head Office. The organization conducts mission around the world to improve quality of life, strengthening communities’ self-reliance and improving standards in different areas such as health, education, water and sanitation, child rights advocacy, income generation activities and community partnerships. The organization also implements emergency relief activities in areas where there is civil unrest or natural disasters.
Enhancing the Quality of Secondary School Education in Zanzibar (EQSSE-Z) project is a four-year project (2021-2024), with the expected outcomes of:
Better teaching and learning in secondary schools (through learner-centered pedagogy in the classroom and laboratory and strengthened teacher support services); 2) Improved learning environments; 3) Greater community engagement in school monitoring.
The intended outcomes will be achieved through three strategies:
1) capacity building to enhance Form and IV teacher performance in Math, Science, and English subjects;
2) equip teacher centers with skills and resources to conduct induction and mentoring programs;
3) strengthen community-based school monitoring systems. The role of the Technical Advisor (TA) will focus on Outcome 1.
Under overall authority and supervision of the Country Director (CD) of Good Neighbors Tanzania, the position as a self-motivated and results-driven Technical Advisor (TA) will work alongside with Project manager of EQSSE-Z, Program officer of the KOICA Tanzania office and other partners as per the communication strategy of the implementing partner structure such as UNOPS, NIRAS, RGoZ, and MoEVT
Purpose of the Position
To support implementation of this project, KOICA/GNTZ are seeking the TA who has extensive experience in the design and implementation of education projects, especially in the African context, in order to provide technical support in project implementation, development of materials, and quality assurance of documentation, and results in monitoring, evaluation and learning.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the EQSSE-Z initiative program, GNTZ is seeking one or more Consultant(s) to support the following activities:
- Develop the instructional design model which will be used for the development of MSE In-Service Training (INSET) modules and the corresponding facilitator guides.
- Coordinate the development of INSET modules for MSE teachers in learner-centered pedagogy and curriculum content areas.
- Manage teams of educational specialists to support the development of INSET modules and other materials as needed.
- Provide technical inputs to the relevant work plan for preparation of INSET module development.
- Prepare inputs for quarterly project progress reports.
- Work with educational authorities to ensure modules and facilitator guides are aligned with Zanzibar’s education policy.
- Produce inputs for monthly or quarterly reports for KOICA, as needed.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight of all aspects of INSET, including monitoring, evaluation and learning, module development, teacher training and professional development.
- Work with operation teams to prioritize tasks and optimizing workflow for orchestrating all project activities.
Scope of Work
The TA’s responsibilities are generally limited to tasks directly related to Outcome 1 (Enhancing Learner-Centered Teaching and Learning in Math, Science, and English). However, the TA’s contribution can be expected in other aspects of project implementation when deemed necessary by Project Manager.
- Review report on technical inputs provided in designing the instructional model for module development
- Review report on consultant works
- Appraisal report on recruitment of educational specialists
- Implementation plan for the development of teaching training materials
- Guidelines for educational specialists to develop modules
- Instructional design model and templates for module development
- Quality assurance report on developed modules and facilitator guides
- Activity report on module development for training of Master Trainers
- Training evaluation report
- Quality assurance report for finalized documents
- Review report on the training plan for Resource Trainers prepared by Master Trainers
- Training activity/evaluation report
- Review report on the INSET plan for MSE teachers prepared by Resource Trainers
- Excellent written and oral communications skills including the conveying complex concepts and recommendations, in a clear and persuasive style tailored to match different audiences.
- Ability to interact independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to multi-task and operate effectively in stressful situations.
- Fluency in English and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Education (Project Design and Implementation, Capacity Building in the relevant areas e.g. learning science, curriculum design, pedagogy content development, educational psychology, instructional design, educational technology, teacher training).
- Minimum of 15 years of field experience in capacity building (both individual and organizational),
- A masters’ degree in above-mentioned academic fields with minimum 10 years of field experience in capacity building (both individual and organizational), or A doctoral degree in above-mentioned academic fields with minimum 7 years of field experience in capacity building (both individual and organizational).
- Understanding Zanzibar Education system and political economy will be an added advantage.
- Experience in working in Tanzania or any East African country.
- Proven experience in supporting the tracking and reviewing of project M&E plan and the reaching of project deliverables.
Proficiency in Swahili.
Location of activities and duration of TA:
The TA(s) are expected to be based in GNTZ Zanzibar Office, Zanzibar
The TA(s) will be engaged for maximum of 113 working days during the first period from August 2021 to December 2021 and 193 working days during the second period from January 2022 to September 2022.
The remuneration for this type is an all-inclusive fee, the organization will not be liable for additional cost or benefits. Hence, it is the responsibility of the consultant to secure adequate medical insurance, traveling costs, and housing for the duration of the contract and it is recommendable that the policy included coverage for COVID-19 related illness. The medial coverages should be international when the contract requires missions or international assignments.
If selected for this vacant post, proof of medical coverage should be presented within the first two months of the contract.
Minimum of three client references that include the name of the contract person title and contract information.
All applications should be sent with enclosed cover letter (addressed to Country Director, P.O. Box 33104 Dar es Salaam, Tanzania), detailed curriculum vitae containing complete names and addresses (postal, email, phone) to: E-mail: email@example.com not letter than 15th July, 2021.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted through their active mobile numbers and emails address.